The 20 Most Intense Minutes of My Life (so far) - May 10, 2009

My doctor's office did call on Thursday to demand that I get a new CT scan ASAP. We scheduled it for Friday afternoon, and it went without drama. Now with only 4 days remaining until Judgment Day #3, I have been pretty sanguine about the whole affair. This is much different from last time, and I am not sure why - confidence or overconfidence? I think I am more secure in the outcome, whether it's the good cancer-free one or not. At least I hope that is the case. Again, there's not a lot of room in the universe for me to feel sorry for myself. Having a decent job in an awful economy while friends all around are being laid off (made redundant for you UK readers), and with a great set of health benefits to go with it - that's a lot to be thankful for. And again we have the example of Nick Vujicic, a man born without arms or legs, who is happy and grateful and doing great things with his life. You may recall Nick from this earlier post, which contains a video that is absolutely worth 5 minutes of your time.

Here's a short (2 min) rockin' good video showing Nick at the C28 concert in Temecula last year:




Why do I mention Nick again? It just so happens that he visited Utah last week, exactly 7 days before my cystoscopy, for a National Day of Prayer celebration less than 5 minutes from my workplace. I had to be there - to see and hear him in person. I went with my wife, the pastor from our church, and his wife. Nick is much more powerful in person than any videos. I have been all over the world, and I have seen a lot of things - both good and bad. Despite all of this, I have NEVER been more moved than during the 20 minutes that Nick spoke to the standing-room-only crowd, even though I had already heard most of the stories he related. Here is a man with no legs who "stands" at the gates of hell to redirect traffic. This is the attitude to take with suffering and difficulty, and I thank Nick for setting the example for me.

No comments: