The 20 Most Intense Minutes of My Life (so far) - May 10, 2009

My doctor's office did call on Thursday to demand that I get a new CT scan ASAP. We scheduled it for Friday afternoon, and it went without drama. Now with only 4 days remaining until Judgment Day #3, I have been pretty sanguine about the whole affair. This is much different from last time, and I am not sure why - confidence or overconfidence? I think I am more secure in the outcome, whether it's the good cancer-free one or not. At least I hope that is the case. Again, there's not a lot of room in the universe for me to feel sorry for myself. Having a decent job in an awful economy while friends all around are being laid off (made redundant for you UK readers), and with a great set of health benefits to go with it - that's a lot to be thankful for. And again we have the example of Nick Vujicic, a man born without arms or legs, who is happy and grateful and doing great things with his life. You may recall Nick from this earlier post, which contains a video that is absolutely worth 5 minutes of your time.

Here's a short (2 min) rockin' good video showing Nick at the C28 concert in Temecula last year:

video


Why do I mention Nick again? It just so happens that he visited Utah last week, exactly 7 days before my cystoscopy, for a National Day of Prayer celebration less than 5 minutes from my workplace. I had to be there - to see and hear him in person. I went with my wife, the pastor from our church, and his wife. Nick is much more powerful in person than any videos. I have been all over the world, and I have seen a lot of things - both good and bad. Despite all of this, I have NEVER been more moved than during the 2o minutes that Nick spoke to the standing-room-only crowd, even though I had already heard most of the stories he related. Here is a man with no legs who "stands" at the gates of hell to redirect traffic. This is the attitude to take with suffering and difficulty, and I thank Nick for setting the example for me.



What's Brewing in Utah?




In other news, would you send $100 for a worthy cause? Not Nick Vujicic (though certainly worthy), but to my church. We have entered into an agreement to purchase an existing church building and property, a difficult task in this day and age, to enable us to leave a rented facility and establish a physical presence in the state of Utah. While there are many church buildings around the state belonging to the predominant local faith, there are very few for other religions. Think about making a small investment in the future of this strange and beautiful place called Utah. Please check out my invitational note and explanatory information at THIS LINK.


And if you are still curious to hear more from Nick Vujicic? Check out this fascinating 21 minute video below:

No comments: