Judgment Day 2017: CANCER FREE for 9 Years Now! - April 17, 2017

Due to some complex travel plans, we are about 3 weeks earlier than last year for Judgment Day. The setting is the same, Spring in Utah, and the day is nice, if not as bright as last year - to be expected for April rather than May. Last year I did not even think about the cysto at all, not even the day it happened, working on business finances for month-end closing until about an hour before the procedure. That was a big mistake. Relaxation was not achieved, and the recovery period was much longer than it should have been. This year would be different!

This year I avoided doing anything financial (despite being the day before Tax Day) and kept the business work superficial. And I deliberately spent time starting 4 hours prior to the scope doing relaxation, deep breathing, meditation and prayer. Time well invested!

The 25 minute drive to the office was uneventful, and the check-in was routine. The waiting room was packed, and even though we were shown to the exam room quickly, it was a while. Dr. Hopkins breezed in at 2:50 for my 2:00 appointment.  Not much had changed, except Dr. Hopkins has a few more grey hairs, I have a few less hairs of any color, and I had shed about 50 pounds. The Doc was looking svelte as well.  Lidocaine and scope, assisted by deep breathing exercises, was fast and painless.  Outcome was as hoped for - ALL CLEAR.  Wine and fancy snacks to celebrate.  BCGs to begin in 15 days or so, details to follow!


3 comments:

Denise said...

Steve, that is great news! Celebrate! You have earned it. Enjoy your trip.

Elaine12 said...

Steve, great news and always a big relief! Time to celebrate! I was "all clear" in March for 4 years now. I travel to Dr. Lamm in Arizona for the BCG treatments as I had a severe reaction during the induction series and my urologist would never again give me BCG. I contacted Dr. Lamm and he custom does the BCG with a reduced dose. It works for me and the side effects are minimal. He says it still does the trick as it boosts my immune system. Just got back from 3 weeks in Arizona which I will continue to do until I reach year 6 and then will go every other year.

Would really like to know what "routines" you still adhere to now that you are 9 years out. Would you be interested in posting a blog update as to what you do now? I discovered your blog 3 years ago and it made a huge impact on me. Thank you for all the work and information you put into it as I read and reread all the posts. Hope the BCG treatments go well for you and that you enjoy your travels.

Enjoying life and retirement,
Elaine

A Dived Ref said...

Great news Steve, I just had my cysto today - all clear once again which is very encouraging. Absolutely delighted to hear that you continue to keep well and clear. Thoughts and prayers for the upcoming BCGS.